Thursday, March 8, 2007

Pop the cork!

Well, today is my last radiation treatment...number 32 of 32. Matt and I plan to celebrate by opening the bottle of champagne he bought on the day of my diagnosis. That Saturday back in September, he went out and bought me flowers and some bubbly, promising to pop the cork once we got through this battle, so tonight is the night!

It's a strange feeling. My friend Judy warned me about this...while the appearance is that the cancer has been beaten, the reality for all of us that go through this is that the battle continues. I know I'll be reminded whenever I see my scars. Every day when I take tamoxifen...every hour at night when a hot flash wakes me up (someone please tell me they end someday!!!) And, of course, lots of follow up appointments with doctors, frequent tests and trips to imaging equipment with ever ache or pain.

Sorry, I meant for this to be uplifting and now it sounds a little sad. I think the reality is that like so much in life, it's a mix of emotions. I'm still sorting it all out. I'm not sure if I've written this to ya'll or not, but so far there's only two things I'm sure I've learned through all of this:

1.) I have continually underestimated the effects of this diagnosis — mental, physical, and emotional. Not just on me, but on my family as well.

2.) I can never fully communicate my thankfulness for my friends and family. For me, the love, support, encouragement, and laughter provided by all of you, is the only thing that can stand up to...and face down this cancerous demon. Thank you all.

No comments: