Thursday, January 25, 2007

And so it begins...

Two radiation treatments down...thirty to go. You know what's hardest to believe in all this? That I have to go every damn day. You know how you wake up and remember you have to go to the dentist? or realize that this is the week you need to have your eyes examined? Or crud, those times that you have to go see your gyn? have a mammogram? one of those things men have to do? You finish and you think, "geez, glad that's over."

I thought that yesterday. And today. And I can't believe I still have to do it tomorrow...and Monday...and on and on.

On the good side, radiation, if they're really doing it, so far feels like nothing. One more buzzing, rotating, weird scanning device, but no pain, no discomfort. It really is hard to belive something is happening. When I mentioned that to one of my technicians, she said that I'd notice a real difference by about the 10th treatment — fatigue and discomfort in the imaging area.

Speaking of the imaging area...think of giving a two year old three different color Sharpies and letting them loose on your chest. I'm pretty sure I won't be wearing a tank top out in public anytime soon. They're basically radiating a 8" x 5" recatangle-like area...wish I could say that's all breast, but it doesn't seem to be. They're very cautious and take great care to get all breast tissue and the chest wall.

Another new develpment: a fair amount of fuzzy white hair sprouting from my head in a roughly mohawk-like pattern. I'm just waiting for it to get long enough to dye!

3 comments:

Terry Albright said...

Mornin Lovey,
I can't imagine how BLAH that would be to wake up and realize that you have to go AGAIN to get *tasered*.
I'm glad that it doesn't feel uncomfortable or sore, and I'm sure there are loads of people willing to tell you that they never felt any discomfort...send them to that *feel good, look good looney group*.
Hang in there kiddo, we're all cheering you on!!
Terry Cherry

Shari Mantini said...

Fuzzy white hair emerging? Do you mean blonde or gray?? NO GRAY....I will be right over...I am an expert at coloring "short" hair!! Shari

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see pics of your mohawk! Fun!